A Controlled Ankle Motion (CAM) walker is a special brace that is designed to immobilise the foot and the ankle and help promote healing after suffering an acute or chronic injury. CAM walker can also be known as moon boots. CAM Walkers or moon boots are made of plastic and also made with a curved rocker sole which can allow the wearer to ambulate whilst they are wearing the brace as opposed to a plaster cast which then the wearer would need crutches or a wheel chair.
Another advantage of wearing moon boots for injuries is that the wearer can take it on and off for showers and sleep. This is good for wearer comfort and hygiene. One of the main injuries that a CAM Walker or moon boots are worn for is a stress fracture within the foot or ankle. A stress fracture is an incomplete fracture of a bone which is caused an unusual and repetitive force as opposed to a normal fracture which is caused by a sudden severe impact.
Symptoms of a stress fracture are few but are quite noticeable. Generally there will be focal tenderness over a bony area and the pain will be severe at the start of exercise then slowly start to ease then increase towards the end. The best treatment for a stress fracture or reaction is to rest which is why wearing moon boots is so effective. It allows the injury to rest but the wearer is still mobile and can perform regular daily activities.
These advantages include:
- The ability to remove the boot for showers and in some case at night whilst sleeping.
- Is easily adjustable if there is swelling present or if there are more complicated fractures/injuries.
- The ability to be able to walk around without crutches in some cases.
CAM Walkers can used as treatment for:
- Fractures to the foot ankle and lower leg
- Ankle Sprains
- Stress Fractures to the foot and ankle
- To aid in the healing of foot ulcers and wounds.